This is a basic recipe for cannabis butter. It is a compilation of information from numerous sources and extensive testing. We have found it to be a consistently high strength cannabis product with useable byproducts. Unlike Cannabutter 2, this method allows for the maximum extraction of butter from the plant matter, rendering the remaining plant material less potent. Not a big deal unless you have plans for good cannacapsules. Also, with this recipe, there is a wonderful brown liquid which can be used in soups and stews. Some swear by this method, others by Cannabutter 2.
By November 13, 2012Published:
- Yield: 3/4 Cup
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 4 hrs 0 min
- Ready In: 6 hrs 10 mins
- 2 sticks butter
- 50 grams cannabis good bud makes the best
- 2 C filtered water (enough to cover plant matter)
- Grind cannabis in blender or coffee grinder until fine. Shake and rub it through sieve or use a sifter to remove any remaining larger particles.
- Bake powdered cannabis on foil lined baking sheet at 230º for 25 min. This process decarboxylates the cannabis changing inactive THCA to active THC.
- Melt butter in crockpot on low. Add processed cannabis and enough filtered water to cover the plant matter. Simmer on low for 4 hours, stirring frequently. Add more water as necessary to keep plant material covered.
- Let cool and place sieve over a bowl and pour in the simmered mixture. Press liquid out using the back of a spoon. Place strained plant matter back in the crockpot and cover with filtered water and simmer 15 mins. Pour into the sieve and press again. Discard plant matter or reserve for recipes or cannacapsules as we've found that there is an amount of butter lost to the processing because it just can't all be squeezed out of the plant matter.
- Place bowl in fridge. Butter will rise to the top. After about 2 hours the butter will be firm. Pour out liquid (can be reserved for soup or stew).
Store butter in airtight container in the fridge or, for longer storage, the freezer.